Certain verbs have reflexive pronouns in some languages, but not in English, e.g. remember (Dutch: zich herinneren, German: sich errinnern, French: se souvenir).
The following verbs are not followed by a reflexive pronoun:
The verbs adapt, adjust, surrender are sometimes used with a reflexive pronoun:
- They adapted themselves to the new situation.
Expressions with a reflexive pronoun
- We really enjoyed ourselves.
- Make yourself at home.
- She travelled to Spain by herself (= alone).
- Sahara Desert is expanding
- IMF says world economy is recovering